I’m an Ikea Hacker wannabe 😉
I bought a pair if these lamps from Ikea about 5 years ago I think, when I first planned to move into our new home.
They were cream in colour, and really nice. Fits the ambiance I planned for my hall. Well, it still does, except that now the creamy porcelain base has gray marks from all the dusts, and some chipped surface from scrubbing the dust off the base. The lamp shade has yellow ageing spots. Ugh!!!
See all the yellow age spots on the lamp shade?
What I did:
1) Bought a can of spray paint in baby blue. I wanted teal, but the shop only had this one blue colour 0_o… and I kinda liked this blue, so I bought it.
2) Unscrew the bulbs, separate the shade from the base… basically unscrew whatever that can be removed or separated.
3) I use masking tape and lots of recycled paper to cover the wire and the metal & plastic parts (those that is there to hold the bulbs and the shades. The idea is to cover parts where you don’t want paint on.
Because the base of the lamp has holes in them, I taped paper inside the base so that the paint won’t go in (it is hollow there and you can get to it from the bottom). There’s a place for a bulb there too!
4) Then, this is the fun part. Spray two coats of paint on the base. I left it overnight to make sure it is truly dry (i’m just like that).
5) Then, for the shade… fun and sticky. This is where I took out my Fabric Mod Podge and some leftover Ikea fabric. I simply measure around the shade, cut out 2 pieces of fabric (because they are leftovers, I don’t have just one piece that fits around). Brush mod podge on the shade and glue the fabric on. I made sure that the fabric on the outside is slightly wider (about 1.5cm both sides) than the shade, so that I can turn it over and glue them to the insides of the shades
That’s really about it.
Oh ya, don’t forget to remove all unwanted masking tape, paper and reassemble back all the part you took apart earlier.
A super new chic cute wowzer looking lamp!
I’ve completed one, now I’m going to go ahead and start of the other lamp.